African National Congress Facts
South African Political Party
- African National Congress (ANC) is South Africa's ruling political party.
- The organization became the ANC in 1923 and formed a military wing, the Umkhonto we Sizwe (Spear of the Nation) in 1961.
- ANC is the ruling party of post-apartheid South Africa on the national level since 1994.
- It increased its majority in the 1999 elections, and further increased it in 2004, with 69.7% of the votes.
- In 2009 elections, its share of the vote reduced slightly, but it remained the dominant party with 65.9% of the votes.
- Umkhonto we Sizwe (or MK), translated "Spear of the Nation", was the military wing of the ANC.
- The ANC flag is composed of three stripes – black, green and gold.
- In December 2012, Jacob Zuma was re-elected as the party leader.