Anote Tong Facts
President of Kiribati
- Anote Tong got elected as the President of Kiribati thrice, July 2003, October 2007 and in January 2011.
- Born in Tabuaeran, Tong is the son of a Chinese migrant who settled in the Gilberts after World War II.
- He did his Masters in Economics degree from the London School of Economics.
- He is married to an I-Kiribati woman, First Lady Nei Meme, and has seven children.
- President Tong has attracted international attention by warning that his country may become uninhabitable by the 2050s due to rising sea levels and salination provoked by climate change.
- In July 2003 election, he won against his brother, Dr. Harry Tong (43.5%) and the private lawyer Banuera Berina (9.1%).
- The election was contested on allegation of electoral fraud but the High Court of Tarawa had confirmed that there was no fraud.
- In 2012, Tong was reelected for a third term, although with a significantly smaller percentage than in the previous two elections.