A country/continent in the Southern Hemisphere
- Australia is officially called the Commonwealth of Australia.
- Australia is the sixth largest nation in terms of land area.
- It is the only nation to cover an entire continent and the surrounding islands.
- After Antarctica, Australia is the driest continent and the direst inhabited continent.
- The country has one of the lowest population density - a mere 2 people per square kilometer!
- The country produces worlds 95% of opals and 99% of black opals.
- It is the world largest exporter of beef.
- The Great Barrier Reef in Queensland is the world's largest oyster and weights 3 kgs.
- Australia has the world's longest straight railway track, longest straight road stretch and the longest continuous fence (dingo fence which is twice longer than the Great Wall of China).
- Australians are not heavy drinkers compared to other parts of the world. On an average Australians are 7% less alcoholic than Britons, 22% less alcoholic than Germans and 35% less than the Irish.
- Swimming in public beaches was illegal in Australia between 1838 and 1902 till the law was modified.
- Australia is the second country to grant voting rights to women.
- After Russia and the USA, Australia is the third country to launch its own satellite into orbit.
- Kangaroo, Koalas and the Eucalyptus tree are iconic to Australia. A baby Kangaroo will be only 2 cms long at the time of its birth.