Christians comprising a group of denominations and churches that subscribe to a doctrine that baptism
- Baptists subscribe to a doctrine that baptism should be performed only for professing believers and that it must be done by immersion.
- Baptists recognize two ministerial offices, pastors and deacons.
- Baptist churches are widely considered to be Protestant churches, though some Baptists disavow this identity.
- Baptist churches date back to 1609 in Amsterdam, with English Separatist John Smyth as its pastor.
- In 1638, Roger Williams established the first Baptist congregation in the North American colonies.
- The Baptist World Alliance reports more than 41 million members in more than 150,000 congregations.
- The term Baptist comes from the Greek word baptistes which means rebaptizer.
- In 1612, Thomas Helwys established a Baptist congregation in London, consisting of congregants from Smyth's church.
- Popular baptists include Abraham Lincoln, Jimmy Carter, Al Gore, Martin Luther King Jr., Carrie Underwood, Whitney Houston, Britney Spears, Queen Latifah, Jessica Simpson amongst others.