Bashar al-Assad Facts
President of Syria
- Bashar al-Assad is the President of Syria.
- He is the General Secretary of the Ba'ath Party and Regional Secretary of the party's branch in Syria.
- He became the President in 2000 succeeding his father, Hafez al-Assad.
- He graduated from the medical school of Damascus University in 1988.
- He postgraduate studies at the Western Eye Hospital in London.
- He was recalled to Syria after his brother died in a car crash after he became heir apparent.
- He married Asma Assad in December 2000. The couple named their first child born on December 1, 2001 as Hafez.
- The couples second and third children Zein was born on 5 November 2003, and Karim on 16 December 2004 respectively.
- He was confirmed both in 2000 and 2007 the President at the national electorate.
- He opposed the 2003 invasion of Iraq despite a long-standing animosity between the Syrian and Iraqi governments.
- Reports say he and his family members have a fortune of about $1.5bn, which is held in Russia, Hong Kong and offshore tax havens to spread the risk of seizure.