Bird flu H5N1 Facts
Influenza A virus subtype
- Influenza A virus subtype is popularly called bird flu.
- The virus illness in humans and many other animal species.
- The virus is believed to have spread after first appearing in Southeast Asia.
- 11 outbreaks of H5N1 were reported worldwide in June 2008 in five countries (China, Egypt, Indonesia, Pakistan and Vietnam).
- A filtered and purified influenza A vaccine for humans is being developed and is kept ready in case of a human outbreak.
- If humans are infected with it, it will replicate in the lower respiratory tract, and consequently will cause viral pneumonia.
- WHO data indicate 60% of cases classified as H5N1 resulted in death.