Bobby Jindal Facts
55th Governor of Louisiana
- Piyush "Bobby" Jindal is the 55th Governor of Louisiana.
- He is formerly a member of the United States House of Representatives.
- He is a member of the Republican Party.
- He was born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, to Amar and Raj Jindal, who came to the United States as immigrants from Punjab, India, six months before he was born.
- He graduated in 1991 at the age of 20, with honors in both majors.
- He was named a member of the 1992 USA Today All-USA Academic Team.
- He received an M.Litt. degree in political science.
- He turned down an offer to study for a D.Phil. in Politics, instead joining the consulting firm McKinsey & Company.
- In 1996 Foster appointed Jindal as Secretary of the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals.
- In 1999, he was appointed to become the youngest-ever president of the University of Louisiana System.
- In March 2001 he was nominated by President George W. Bush to be Assistant Secretary of Health and Human Services for Planning and Evaluation.
- He was later unanimously confirmed by a vote of the United States Senate and began serving on July 9, 2001.
- He came to national prominence during the 2003 election for Louisiana governor.