Largest country in South America and in the Latin America region
- Brazil is the world's fifth largest country, both by geographical area and by population.
- It was a colony of Portugal from the landing of Pedro Álvares Cabral in 1500 until 1815, when it was elevated to the rank of kingdom.
- The country achieved independence in 1822 and became a presidential republic in 1889.
- Its economy is the world's sixth largest by nominal GDP and the seventh largest by purchasing power parity (as of 2011).
- It has the world's greatest number of uncontacted people (isolated people or lost tribes).
- The word "Brazil" comes from brazilwood, a tree that once grew plentifully along the Brazilian coast.
- It is a federation composed of 26 States, one Federal district (which contains the capital city, Brasília) and Municipalities.
- Footbal is its favorite sport.