Process of moving air in and out of the lungs
- Breathing involves absorbtion of Oxygen into the body, exhaling Carbon dioxide out of the body.
- Breathing process also results in loss of water from the body.
- Ten muscles are used for inspiration while eight are used for forced expiration.
- Conscious control of breathing is common in many forms of meditation such as Yoga.
- 300 million alveoli may be found in a pair of human lungs. 1500 miles of airways are present in human lungs.
- Human beings breathe an average of 12 times a minute.
- We breathe out more than 800 litres (282 cu ft) of air in a 24 hour period.
- Heavy physical exercise considerably increases breathing activity.
- 70% of our body waste comes out in the process of Breath. Other modes of coming out include Skin (20%), Urine (7%) and Feces (3%).