Form of bread or bread-like food, typically sweet and enriched baked dessert
- Modern layered cakes are made of flour, sugar, eggs, and butter or oil, milk and water, leavening agents (such as yeast or baking powder) and flavor ingrediants (nuts, dried or candied fruit).
- Cakes are the most common dessert of choice for meals at ceremonial occasions.
- The term 'cake' originated from the old Norse word "kaka".
- January 27 is observed at the National Chocolate Cake Day (US).
- The wedding cake is a tradition that began back in the Roman Empire.
- In the 17th century England, people believed that keeping fruitcakes under the pillow of those who are unmarried will give them sweet dreams about their fiancée.
- Icing is the addition of a creamy and delicious mixture to a dessert.
- The first icing were usually a boiled composition of the finest available sugar, egg whites and flavorings.
- Tiered cakes, usually used in weddings, originated after 1870.