Carbon dioxide Facts
Chemical compound formed with two Oxygen and one Carbon atoms
- Carbon dioxide is a chemical compound formed with two Oxygen and one Carbon atoms.
- It is a naturally occurring chemical compound.
- Almost all living organisms release Carbon dioxide as a part of Carbon cycle.
- Plants release Carbon dioxide to a limited extent at night because photosynthesis does not occur at night.
- Carbon dioxide dissolved in water will give a weak acid called Carbonic Acid.
- It is colorless and in low concentrations, odorless too.
- It was one of the first gases to be described as a substance distinct from air.
- Carbon dioxide was first liquefied in 1823 by Humphry Davy and Michael Faraday.
- It is a food additive used as a propellant and acidity regulator in the food industry.
- It is used to produce carbonated Soft drink and Soda.
- Human body produces approximately 2.3 pounds (1.0 kg) of carbon dioxide per day per person.
- It is carried through the venous system and is breathed out through the lungs.