A monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus
- Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, God having become human and the saviour of humanity.
- The saving work of Christ on the cross is often referred to as the Gospel message or good news.
- The three largest groups in the world of Christianity are the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox churches, and the various denominations of Protestantism.
- Christianity began as a Jewish sect in the mid-1st century.
- It originated in the Mediterranean coast of the Middle East (modern Israel and Palestine) and spread to Syria, Mesopotamia, Asia Minor and Egypt.
- Christianity represents about a quarter to a third of the world's population
- It is the world's largest religion.
- Among all Christians, 37.5% live in the Americas and 25.7% live in Europe.
- Baptism is the ritual act, with the use of water, by which a person is admitted to membership of the Church.