The hardest natural substance known
- Diamond is formed deep in the mantle, at depths of 140 to 190 kilometers, and is only brought to the surface via kimberlite pipes, lamprophyres, eclogites and other rocks that originate deep within the mantle.
- The nane 'Diamond' originated from Greek word, 'adamas' which meaning 'invincible'.
- Diamond is generally considered the birthstone for those born in the month of April.
- Diamond color is graded on a scale of the alphabet, using letters D (colorless) through Z (slight yellow).
- Price of a diamond depends on Four C's - Color, Clarity, Cut and Carat (Weight).
- Diamonds are brought close to the Earth surface through deep volcanic eruptions.
- It is an allotrope of Carbon.
- They are thought to have been first recognized and mined in India.
- Diamonds can be identified by their high thermal conductivity.
- Diamonds, like quartz, can cut glass.
- About 49% of diamonds of the world originate from Central and Southern Africa.
- Diamond industry has two distinct categories - one dealing with gem-grade diamonds while the other deals with industrial-grade diamonds.
- De Beers controls a significant proportion of the trade in diamonds in the world.