Segmented animal found in soil
- Earthworms do not have arms, legs or eyes.
- They do not have lungs, breathe through their skin.
- There are approximately 2,700 different kinds of earthworms.
- One acre of land can have more than a million earthworms.
- Largest earthworm ever found was in South Africa and measured 22 feet.
- Charles Darwin has spent 39 years studying earthworms.
- They are cold-blooded animals.
- They have the ability to replace or replicate lost segments.
- Baby worms hatch from cocoons smaller than a grain of rice.
- They are hermaphrodites. Each worm has both male and female organs. They mate with worms of the same species.
- They can eat up to their weight each day.
- They normally can live 15 years, some can live up to 50 years.
- They can have up to 5 hearts depending on the type of worm it is.
- They can eat up to 70% of all household waste.
- Its digestive system runs through the body.