Elizabeth II Facts
Constitutional monarch of 16 sovereign states known as the Commonwealth realms
- Elizabeth Alexandra Mary is the monarch of the United Kingdom.
- She is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England.
- She was born in London, and educated privately at home.
- On the death of her father in 1952, she became Head of the Commonwealth and queen regnant of seven independent Commonwealth countries: the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Pakistan, and Ceylon.
- She was married to Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh in 1947 and has four children: Charles, Anne, Andrew, and Edward.
- She considered 1992 (annus horribilis or horrible year) and 1996 to be worst years of her life following many family tragedies.
- During the 1990s, under pressure from public opinion, she began to pay income tax for the first time, and Buckingham Palace was opened to the public
- Her 60 years reign is the second-longest for a British monarch only next to Queen Victoria.
- 2002 is the earmarked as the Golden Jubilee as queen.
- Her Diamond Jubilee is being celebrated during 2012.
- Forbes magazine estimated her net worth at around US$450 million in 2010.