Method of exchanging digital messages from one mailbox to another over a public network
- Email is also called Electronic Mail. It is also written as e-mail.
- Email existed even before the Internet evolved, as early as 1971.
- Queen Elizabeth of Britain sent her first email in 1976.
- Ray Tomlinson is the first person to send a e-mail message over a network.
- Emails are carried using the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP).
- The term spam came from Monty Python sketch, where its incessant chanting by Vikings drowns out all meaning.
- 247 billion email messages are sent every day. 81% of them are pure spam.
- A Spammer get 1 response to every 12 million emails
- 90 trillion emails were sent every year.
- 123456 is the most common email password.
- As of September 2011, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail and Gmail are the three top web-based email services in USA.
- The crew of STS-43 Atlantis used Apple's early AppleLink software on a Macintosh Portable to transmit the first email message from space.