Social networking website
- The website launched in February 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg with his college roommates and fellow students Eduardo Saverin, Dustin Moskovitz and Chris Hughes.
- It is operated and privately owned by Facebook Inc.
- As of April 2012, the website has more than 900 million active users.
- Membership to the website was initially limited only to Harvard University students.
- The website was initially comparable to Hot or Not.
- Membership was later expanded to other colleges in the Boston area, the Ivy League, and Stanford University.
- In April 2010, Social Media Today said an estimated 41.6% of the U.S. population had a Facebook account.
- Facebook filed for an initial public offering on February 1, 2012.
- In April 2012 it bought the application Instagram for US$1 billion.