Reproductive structure found in flowering plants
- Flowers are also called bloom or blossom.
- Red roses are given as a symbol of love, beauty, and passion.
- Daisies are a symbol of innocence.
- Poppies are a symbol of consolation in time of death.
- According to Hindu mythology, Lord Vishnu is depicted in a Lotus flower.
- Egyptian Pharaoh Thothmes III's army started plant collection over 3500 years ago.
- There are over 15,000 species of roses cultivated across the world.
- Tulips have a brief lifespan of only three to seven days. Tulip bulbs can be used in place of onions for cooking. Tulip bulbs were more valuable than gold in Holland in the 1600s.
- Broccoli is a flower as well as a vegetable.
- Titan arums are the world's largest flowers at almost 10 feet in height.
- California is the source for nearly 60% of all USA-grown fresh cut flowers.
- Moon flowers bloom only at night, closing during the day.
- Gas plants produce a clear gas on humid, warm nights. This gas is said to be ignitable with a lit match.
- The very expensive spice, saffron, comes from a type of crocus flower.