Sport in which a ball is kicked with the foot to score a goal, soccer, footy, footie
- While the world calls the game 'football', Americans call it 'Soccer' or 'Association Football'.
- The Football League was founded in England in 1888 making it a professional competitive sport.
- Between 1324 and 1667, football was banned in England alone by more than 30 royal and local laws
- The present day football has its origins when the Romans played a game named 'harpastum'.
- A typical football ground is 100 to 130 yards long and 50 to 100 yards wide.
- A single soccer player runs about 7 miles during an entire game.
- The Football World Cup is held in a different country after every 4 years.
- Host country Uruguay won the first Football World Cup held in 1930.
- Mexico is the only country to host the soccer World Cup event twice.
- Brazil has won 5 World Cups. Argentina won twice.
- India pulled away from the 1950 World Cup because the players were not allowed to play without shoes.
- The first player to be red carded was Chile player Carlos Caszely, during the 1974 World Cup.
- Goalkeeper Arthur Wharton was the first black professional soccer player.
- Luigi Riva once broke the arm of a spectator with one of his powerful shots.
- Germany has played the most World Cup matches.