Greek language Facts
Official language of Greece and Cyprus
- Greek language is an independent branch of the Indo-European family of languages.
- It is the official language of Greece and Cyprus and few other neighbouring countries.
- 10% of English words and 30% of English vocabulary consists, directly and indirectly, of words of Classical Greek origin.
- Over fifty thousand English words are derived from the Greek language.
- The language has three genders: masculine, feminine and neuter.
- Clay tablet unearthed in 1900 named Linear A / B is probably the oldest surviving record of an ancient Greek dialect
- Greek was the first official language of the ancient Christian church and the language of education in Roman Empire.
- As many as 13 million people speak Greek.
- Greek has been written in the Greek alphabet since approximately the 9th century BC.