String instrument of the chordophone family
- Guitar is made out of wood and strung with either nylon or steel strings.
- Guitar is one of the most played instruments, next to the Piano.
- Most guitars have 6 strings, but some have a different number including popular 4 and 12 string versions and rare guitars with 7, 8, 9, and 10 strings.
- The first sign guitar in ancient writings is the one, the romans brought to hispania.
- The English word guitar, the German gitarre, and the French guitare were adopted from the Spanish guitarra.
- Electric guitars are introduced in the 1930s.
- Electric guitars rely on an amplifier that can electronically manipulate tone.
- Epiphone was the only banjo company to successfully switch to guitar production.
- The Fender factory makes around 90,000 strings per day. This is over 20,000 miles a year, enough to circle the world.
- The smallest guitar in the world is 10 micrometres long with strings 50 nanometres (100 atoms) wide.
- The Yepes 10-string guitar flaunts four resonators that work in unison with all 12 chromatic notes, to enhance and balance sonority.
- Renaissance and Baroque guitars are usually used as rhythm instruments.
- Guitars are constructed and repaired by Luthiers.