HMV Group Facts
British multinational entertainment retailing company
- HMV stands for His Master's Voice.
- The name is taken from a painting created in 1899 by Francis Barraud of the dog Nipper listening to a cylinder phonograph.
- The first HMV branded store was opened by the Gramophone Company on Oxford Street in 1921 selling primarily music.
- HMV was founded in London, England on 20 July 1921.
- Its headquarters is at Maidenhead, Berkshire.
- As of 2011, it has 273 stores across 8 countries.
- The company had 4,350 employees in the UK.
- On 22 January 2013 it was reported that Hilco would buy the debt of HMV, effectively taking control of the company.