Hosni Mubarak Facts
Former Egyptian politician and military commander
- Muhammad Hosni El Sayed Mubarak is the fourth President of Egypt from 1981 to 2011.
- He joined Egyptian Military Academy soon after completing schooling.
- He received a Bachelor's degree in Military Sciences in 1949.
- In 1949, he joined the Air Force Academy.
- He as a pilot officer and later received a Bachelor's Degree in Aviation Sciences.
- He took fighter plane training in Soviet Russia.
- He joined the Frunze Military Academy in 1964.
- He became Commander of the Air Force and Egyptian Deputy Minister of Defence in 1972.
- He was appointed Egyptian Vice President in 1975.
- He became President on 14 October 1981 following the assassination of President Anwar El Sadat.
- He is Egypt's longest serving ruler since Muhammad Ali Pasha.
- He was ousted after 18 days of demonstrations during the 2011 Egyptian revolution.
- Reports dated 2011 indicate his family has a wealth of US$40 billion and $70 billion founded on military contracts made during his time as an air force officer.
- On 12 February 2011, the government of Switzerland announced that it was freezing the Swiss bank accounts of Mubarak and his family.
- In June 2011, his lawyer reported Mubarak is has stomach cancer, and the cancer is growing.
- On 2 June 2012, Mubarak was sentenced to life in prison.