Hugo Chavez Facts
Former President of Venezuela
- Hugo Rafael Chavez Frias was the President of Venezuela from 1999 until his death in 2013.
- He was born on 28 July 1954 in a working-class family in Sabaneta, Barinas.
- He was formerly the leader of the Fifth Republic Movement political party from its foundation in 1997 until 2007, when he became the leader of the United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV).
- He followed his own political ideology of Bolivarianism and "socialism of the 21st century".
- He tried to implement a social project known as the Bolivarian Revolution.
- His Bolivarian Revolution led to the implementation of a new constitution
- Chavez became a career military officer but left it to join politics.
- He founded the secretive Revolutionary Bolivarian Movement-200 (MBR-200) in the early 1980s.
- He led the MBR-200 in an unsuccessful coup d'etat against the Democratic Action government of President Carlos Andres Perez in 1992, for which he was imprisoned.
- Later, he founded a social democratic political party, the Fifth Republic Movement.
- He was elected president of Venezuela in 1998.
- He subsequently introduced a new constitution which increased rights for marginalized groups.
- On 7 October 2012, Chavez won his country's presidential election for a fourth time
- On 30 June 2011, he stated that he was recovering from an operation to remove an abscessed tumor with cancerous cells.
- He required a second operation in December 2012.
- He was to have been sworn in on January 10, 2013, but the National Assembly of Venezuela agreed to postpone the inauguration to allow him time to recuperate and return from a third medical treatment trip to Cuba.
- He died on March 5, 2013, at the age of 58.