Hurricane Sandy Facts
Late-season tropical cyclone of 2012
- Hurricane Sandy is the 18th tropical cyclone, 18th named storm, and 10th hurricane of the 2012 Atlantic hurricane season.
- It affected Jamaica, Cuba, the Bahamas, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, and the eastern seaboard of the United States.
- In United States, the hurricane impact stretched from North Carolina to New England.
- It brought a record-breaking storm surge to New York City on the evening of October 29, 2012.
- Streets and tunnels flooded in Lower Manhattan and other areas of the city.
- More than two-thirds of the East Coast's petroleum refining capacity was shut down on October 29 due to the oncoming storm.