Jayalalithaa Jayaraman Facts
Jayalalithaa Jayaraman was a former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Jayalalithaa was an Indian politician and a film actress. She served six times as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu (11th, 14th, 16th, 18th and 19th).
- Jayalalithaa came first in 10th standard in Tamil Nadu and won the Gold State Award.
- She is fluent in several languages including Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Hindi, Malayalam and English.
- Jayalalitha trained in classical music, western classical piano, and various forms of classical dance, including Bharatanatyam, Mohiniattam, Manipuri and Kathak.
- Before making her politicial debut, Jayalalithaa appeared in 140 films and was one of the leading actress from 1961 to 1980.
- Jayalalithaa is the second female chief minister of Tamil Nadu after Jankai Ramachandran, the widow of former Tamil Nadu chief minister MG Ramachandran.
- Jayalalithaa is the first incumbent chief minister in India to be disqualified from holding office due to conviction in a disproportionate assets case on 27 September 2014. The Karnataka High Court acquitted her on 11 May 2016 and she resumed office as Chief Minister.
- Jayalalithaa was hospitalizaed for infection and acute dehydration on 22 September 2016. After 74 days, she passed away on 5 December 2016 at 11:30 pm.
- Jayalalithaa was popularly referred as Puratchi Thalaivi, Thanga Gopuram, Thanga Chillai and Thanga Tharagai (Golden Maiden) by her followers.
- She added an additional letter "a" to the spelling of her name in 2001 for reasons related to numerology.