Joaquin Phoenix Facts
American actor, formerly credited as Leaf Phoenix
- Joaquin Rafael Phoenix is an American actor, music video director, producer, musician, and social activist.
- He was born on October 28, 1974.
- He was formerly credited as Leaf Phoenix.
- He started his career as a child actor.
- He became popular for his portrayal of Commodus in the 2000 historical epic film Gladiator, directed by Ridley Scott.
- Gladiator earned him a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, the Golden Globe Award, Screen Actors Guild, Satellite Award, and BAFTA Award.
- He received wider recognition for his portrayal of musician Johnny Cash in the 2005 biographical film Walk the Line. His performance earned him several accolades and nominations, including the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy and a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actor.
- He received his third Academy Award nomination for his critically acclaimed performance in the 2012 film The Master.
- Phoenix also directed music videos as well as produced movies and television shows.
- He even recorded an album, the soundtrack to Walk the Line for which he won a Grammy Award.