Ancient Chinese philosopher
- Laozi is considered as a religious diety in China and is popular for his Taoist philosophy.
- He is the author of the Tao Te Ching.
- He is also popular as Lao Tse, Lao Tu, Lao-Tsu, Laotze, Laosi and Laocius
- He lived in the 6th century BCE.
- Chinese Taoist-Buddhists believe Buddha to be a reincarnation of Laozi.
- He was honored as an ancestor of the Tang imperial family.
- He was granted the title Taishang xuanyuan huangdi, meaning "Supreme Mysterious and Primordial Emperor".
- Throughout history, Laozi's work has been embraced by various anti-authoritarian movements.