Leonel Suarez Facts
- Leonel Suarez is an Cuban decathlete.
- He was born in 1987 at Santiago de Cuba.
- Gabino Arzola is his coach.
- He missed the 2012 World Championships because he suffered from high blood pressure [hypertension].
- He took up athletics when he moved to Holguin at age nine.
- In 2008 he became the first Cuban athlete to win an Olympic medal in the decathlon and in 2011 became the first Cuban athlete to win a Pan American gold medal in the event.
- He competed at the Beijing 2008 Olympics.
- He won the London 2012 Olympics Bronze Medal in Men's Decathlon 1500m event with 8523 points which is the seasonal best.