London Heathrow Airport Facts
Major international airport of London
- London Heathrow Airport is a major international airport of London.
- It is the busiest airport in the United Kingdom and the third busiest airport in the world in terms of passenger traffic.
- 76,600 workers work for the aiport directly and 116,000 work indirectly.
- The airport is owned and operated by BAA Limited.
- The airport has licence for public transportation of passengers or for flying instruction.
- The airport started in 1929 as a small airfield (Great West Aerodrome).
- The airport is used by over 90 airlines flying to 170 destinations worldwide.
- It is the primary hub of British Airways, and is a base for Virgin Atlantic Airways.
- There is a proposal for a direct high-speed rail link between Heathrow and Gatwick Airports.