Madame Tussauds Facts
A wax museum in London
- The Wax museum was founded by wax sculptor Marie Tussaud.
- The museum is located in London and has become a major tourist attraction.
- It displays waxworks of historical and royal figures, film stars, sports stars and infamous murderers.
- The new exhibition galleries of it were opened on 14 July 1884.
- Branches of the museum were established in various other cities outside of London.
- The Sleeping Beauty is the oldest existing figure on display.
- Her first wax figure was that of Voltaire, in 1777, followed by Jean-Jacques Rousseau and Benjamin Franklin.
- Tussaud's first exhibition was in 1802 at the Lyceum Theatre, London.
- Because Tussaud could not return to France because of a war, she opened a museum at the Baker Street, London.
- Popular wax figure at the museum include that of Adolf Hitler, Alfred Hitchcock, The Beatles, Charlie Chaplin, Arnold Schwarzenegger as Terminator, Lady Gaga, Nelson Mandela, Pierce Brosnan as James Bond 007 amongst others.