Magic Johnson Facts
Former American professional basketball player
- Magic Johnson was born as Earvin "Magic" Johnson Jr. on August 14, 1959.
- He played for the Los Angeles Lakers of the NBA.
- He was selected first overall in the 1979 NBA Draft by the Lakers.
- He won a championship and an NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award in his rookie season.
- He won four more championships with the Lakers during the 1980s.
- He retired abruptly in 1991 after announcing that he had contracted HIV.
- He returned to play in the 1992 All-Star Game winning the All-Star MVP Award.
- After protests from his fellow players, he retired again for four years.
- He returned again in 1996 and at the age of 36, he played 32 games for the Lakers before retiring for the third and final time.
- He got three NBA MVP Awards, nine NBA Finals appearances, twelve All-Star games, and ten All-NBA First and Second Team nominations.
- He was a member of the "Dream Team", the U.S. basketball team that won the Olympic gold medal in 1992.
- He is honored as one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History in 1996, and enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2002.
- He was rated the greatest NBA point guard of all time by ESPN in 2007
- He part owns Los Angeles Dodgers when he made a purchase of $2 million in March 2012.