Massachusetts Institute of Technology Facts
Private research university located in Cambridge, Massachusetts
- MIT has five schools and one college, containing a total of 32 academic departments.
- MIT was established in 1861 in response to the increasing industrialization of the US.
- It adopted the European polytechnic university model and emphasized laboratory instruction from an early date.
- It was elected to the Association of American Universities in 1934.
- The institute is located in a 168-acre campus.
- 8% of students live off campus or commute.
- The GNU project and free software movement originated at MIT
- 45 percent of undergraduate students are women.
- MIT has 1,018 faculty members, of whom 217 are women.