Mathew Belcher Facts
Australian Sport Sailor
- Mathew Belcher is an [Australian|Australia]] Sport Sailor.
- He was born in 1982 at Gold Coast.
- He is called by his nicknames - Mat, Matty.
- He is a Commerce student at Bond University.
- Friederike is his wife.
- He plays for the clubs Royal Queensland Yacht Club / Middle Harbour Sailing Club.
- Victor Kovalenko [national] is his coach since 2001.
- He was the youngest Australian to achieve a black belt in taekwondo. He competed in the sport from age nine to 13.
- His brother Dan is also an international sailor. His wife Friederike represents Germany the 470 class in sailing.
- He made his debut in 1999 for Australia, World Championships (Athens).
- He started sailing at age six on the Gold Coast, Australia.
- His parents were keen sailors.
- Sailors Paul Elvstrom, Tom King and Ben Ainslie are his heroes.
- He, along with Malcolm Page are part of Australian team that won the 2012 Olympics Gold Medal at London in Men's 470 event category.