Michele Bachmann Facts
Member of the US House of Representatives, representing Minnesota's 6th congressional district, candidate for the Republican nomination in the 2012 US presidential election
- Michele Bachmann was born in Iowa, but moved with her family to Minneosta when she was in her sixth grade.
- Bachmann, a Republican, is born into a family of Norwegian Lutheran Democrats. She became a Republican during her senior year at Winona State after reading Gore Vidal's 1973 novel, Burr.
- Bachmann has five biological children and is a foster parent to 23 other children.
- Bachmann's husband is Dr. Marcus Bachmann. He is the president of Bachmann & Associates and has a Ph.D in clinical psychology.
- Bachmann defeated 18-year incumbent Gary Laidig for Republican nomination for State Senate from Minnesota District 25. In the General Election, she defeated Ted Thomson and Lyno Sullivan.
- Bachmann is a supporter of the Tea Party movement and is the founder of the House Tea Party Caucus.
- Bachmann formally announced that she is running for the Republican presidential nomination on June 27, 2011 in Waterloo, Iowa.