Mount Everest Facts
World's Highest Mountain
- The height of Mount Everest is 8848 metres (29,029 ft)
- Mount Everest is located in the Himalyas on the Nepal - China border
- Tibetan name for Mount Everest is Chomolungma or Qomolangma
- Mount Everest is called Sagarmatha in Nepal which means goddess of the sky.
- Mount Everest was first successfully ascended by Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay on May 29, 1953. He was conferred honorary citizen of Nepal on the 50th anniversary in 2003.
- Jordan Romero became the youngest person to climb Mount Everest in May 2010. He was 13 years old.
- Oldest climber to reach the summit is 76-year-old Min Bahadur Sherchan
- Junko Tabei became the first woman to ascend the summit on May 16, 1975
- Nawang Gombu is the first person to ascend Mount Everest twice.
- It is one amongst the Seven Summits, the highest mountains of each of the seven continents, of the world.