Muammar Gaddafi Facts
Libyan revolutionary and absolute ruler
- Muammar Gaddafi was in power after overthrowing King Idris in 1969.
- Gaddafi became the longest serving rulers in history.
- Gaddafi is called The Brother Leader or The Guide.
- He was given the title King of Kings of Africa in 2008 for his efforts to encourage African leaders to follow him in bringing greater political integration.
- On May 17, 2011, the International Criminal Court issued arrest warrant against Gaddafi for crimes against humanity.
- Gaddafi idolized Gamal Abdel Nasser's ideas of pan-Arabism.
- Gaddafi allegedly worked with Swiss banks to launder international banking transactions for years.
- Gaddafi holds an honorary degree from Megatrend University in Belgrade conferred on him by former Yugoslav President Zoran Lilic.
- On September 23, 2009, Gaddafi addressed the 64th session of the United Nations General Assembly in New York, his first visit to the United States.
- In September 2008, U.S. Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice became the first in her position to visit Libya since 1953.