Nancy Pelosi Facts
American politician and Minority Leader of the United States House of Representatives
- Nancy Patricia D'Alesandro Pelosi was the 60th Speaker of the United States House of Representatives from 2007 to 2011.
- She was the first woman to hold the office and to date, has been the highest-ranking female politician in American history.
- She is Italian-American and was born in Baltimore, Maryland.
- She was involved with politics from an early age.
- She graduated from the Institute of Notre Dame and from Trinity College (now Trinity Washington University) in Washington, D.C., in 1962 with a B.A. in political science.
- She married Paul Frank Pelosiin Baltimore at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen on September 7, 1963.
- In 1976, Pelosi was elected as a Democratic National Committee member from California, a position she would hold until 1996.
- She is a member of the Democratic Party and has represented California's 8th congressional district.
- On November 17, 2010, Pelosi was elected as the Democratic Leader by House Democrats and therefore the Minority Leader in the Republican-controlled House for the 112th Congress.
- On November 14, 2012, she announced she would remain on as Democratic leader.