Narendra Modi Facts
Indian Politician and Prime Ministerial Candidate for the BJP
- Narendra Damodardas Modi is an Indian Politician and the Prime ministerial candidate of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- He is credited for his successful Gujarat state election campaigns in 1995 and 1998.
- Serving his consecutive, he became the longest serving Chief Minister.
- He is a member of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).
- His administration has been criticised for the incidents surrounding the 2002 Gujarat violence.
- He was born in a grocers family on 17 September 1950 in Vadnagar in Mehsana district.
- He ran a tea stall with his brother near a bus terminus.
- Later, he worked in the staff canteen of Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation.
- He became a full-time pracharak (campaigner) of the RSS in 1970.
- He completed his Master's degree in political science from Gujarat University.
- He rose to General secretary of BJP's Gujarat unit in 1988 and was elected the National Secretary of BJP in November 1995.
- He was appointed the Chief Minister of Gujarat on 7 October 2001.
- In 2005, he was denied a diplomatic visa to the United States.
- The B-1/B-2 visa that had previously been granted to him was also revoked, under a section of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
- The United Kingdom refused to deal with Modi for a decade following the 2002 violence but lifted its diplomatic boycott in October 2012.
- In September 2013, the BJP announced Modi as their prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.