An American stock exchange
- NASDAQ's full form is National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotations.
- It is the second-largest stock exchange by market capitalization in the world, after the New York Stock Exchange.
- The NASDAQ has more trading volume than any other electronic stock exchange in the world.
- The exchange is owned by NASDAQ OMX Group, which also owns the OMX stock exchange network.
- It was founded on February 4, 1971 and is located in New York City. 2,500 stocks were traded that first day.
- In the beginning, it was merely a computer bulletin board system and did not actually connect buyers and sellers.
- NASDAQ was the successor to the over-the-counter (OTC) system of trading.
- In 1998, the NASDAQ merged with the American Stock Exchange, which focused on options and derivatives, to form the NASDAQ-AMEX Market group but both exchanges still operate separately.
- The NASDAQ purchased the Philadelphia Stock Exchange for $652 million on November 7th, 2007.