National Basketball Association Facts
Pre-eminent men's professional basketball league in North America
- NBA comprises of 30 franchised member clubs, of which 29 are located in the USA and one in Canada.
- A typical NBA season consists of 82 games followed by playoffs.
- It is one of the four major North American professional sports leagues.
- Its players are the world's best paid sportsmen, by average annual salary per player.
- It was founded in New York City on June 6, 1946 as the Basketball Association of America (BAA).
- On August 3, 1949, the BAA agreed to merge with the NBL, creating the new National Basketball Association.
- Its head offices located in the Olympic Tower at 645 Fifth Avenue in New York City
- NBA Entertainment and NBA TV studios are directed out of offices located in Secaucus, New Jersey.
- The first NBA game was played in Toronto, Canada in 1946.
- The NBA logo is a silhouette of Jerry West dribbling. West, a Hall-of-Famer, is thought of as one of the NBA's greatest point guards.
- The NBA introduced the three point line in 1980.
- The Philadelphia Warriors won the first NBA title in 1947.
- Muggsy Bogues (Tyron Curtis Bogues) is the NBA's shortest player ever listed at 5 ft. 3 in.
- NBA formed the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) in 1996 with eight teams. More than 10 years after its inception, the WNBA has 13 teams across the United States.
- The first NBA game played outside North America was in Japan between Phoenix Suns and Utah Jazz
- It was the Atlanta Hawks who got to play first in the Soviet Union. They won over the Soviet team by a single point 85-84.