Nicolas Sarkozy Facts
23rd French President and ex officio Co-Prince of Andorra
- Nicolas Sarkozy was born as Nicolas Paul Stephane Sarkozy de Nagy-Bocsa on 28 January 1955.
- Sarkozy became the President and assumed office on 16 May 2007 after defeating the Socialist Party candidate Segolene Royal.
- He is the first French president to have been born after World War II.
- He served as the Mayor of Neuilly-sur-Seine between 1983-2002. He was then the youngest mayor of any town in France with a population of over 50,000.
- As a child, he was abandoned by his father and hence he has spent much of his childhood at his grandfather's home.
- The family lived in a mansion owned by Sarkozy's grandfather, Benedict Mallah, in the 17th Arrondissement of Paris.
- He used to feel inferior to the wealthier and taller classmates at school.
- He married Marie-Dominique Culioli and they later separated. He later married former fashion model and public relations executive Cecilia Ciganer-Albeniz. The two divorced in October 2007, soon after he became the French President. He later married Italian-born singer Carla Bruni.
- According to his life insurance policies, Sarkozy has a net worth of 2 million euros.
- La Conquete is a biopic on themed on the alleged mocking the political career of Sarkozy.
- Vanity Fair named him to be the 68th best-dressed person in the world.
- He graduated with an MA in Private law, and later with a DEA degree in Business law.
- He completed his military service as a part time Air Force cleaner.
- After passing the bar, he became a lawyer specializing in business and family law, and was one of Silvio Berlusconi's top French advocates.
- According to ecological magazine, Terra Economica, President Nicolas Sarkozy has a carbon footprint equivalent to that made by 1,000 of his fellow French citizens.