West African nation
- Nigeria got its name from the River Niger that runs through the country.
- Nigeria became the largest economy in Africa, overtaking even South Africa in 2013.
- It is expected to become one of the world's Top 20 economies by 2050.
- It is given an Emerging market nation status by the World Bank.
- It is the most populous country in Africa and the 8th most populous in the world.
- The country is a member of both the Commonwealth of Nations, and the African Union.
- Abuja is its capital.
- Nigerian Naira is its currency.
- The country has 521 languages (7% of world languages) though English is the official language.
- The country became independent on 1 October 1960 from United Kingdom.
- The country is a Federal Republic modelled after the United States.
- The country has the highest paid legislators in the entire world.
- Christianity and Islam are the two major religions.
- Football is a popular sport in the country.
- Nollywood is the name given to local film / movie industry.
- The country is the 12th largest producer of Crude Oil.
- The Drill Monkey is only found in this country.
- The country has the highest rate of twin-births.