North Korea Facts
An East Asian country
- Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) is the official name of the country.
- Pyongyang is its capital and largest city.
- Dogs are banned in Pyongyang to keep it clean.
- The Korean Demilitarized Zone serves as the buffer zone between North Korea and South Korea.
- Kim Jong-il adopted Songun, or a "military-first" policy in order to strengthen the country and its government.
- Its highest point is Paektu-san Mountain at 2,744 metres (9,003 ft).
- Its longest river is the Amnok River which flows for 790 kilometres (491 mi).
- They began competing in the Olympics since 1964.
- They boycotted the 1988 Summer Olympics in neighboring Seoul.
- They have medaled in every summer Olympics in which they have participated.
- One cannot turn off the Government radio in the country. Its volume can only be reduced.
- The country has the fourth-largest military in the world, at an estimated 1.21 million armed personnel.
- It has a literacy rate of over 99%.
- It is the 10th largest producer of fruit.