The Art of applying paint, pigment, color or other medium to a surface
- Oldest known paintings are at the Grotte Chauvet in France. They are over 32,000 years old.
- A Fresco is a type of painting which is done on plaster on walls or ceilings.
- Gouache is a type of paint consisting of pigment suspended in water.
- Photorealism is the genre of painting based on using the camera and photographs to gather information and then from this information, creating a painting that appears to be very realistic like a photograph.
- Oil painting was first used in Western Afghanistan.
- Vincent only sold one painting during his lifetime and only became famous after his death.
- Leonardo da Vinci made fewer than 30 paintings and most of these are not even finished.
- da Vinci took two years to draw the Last Supper. The subject of the painting is the last days of Jesus Christ as depicted in the Bible.
- The Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci is one of the most recognizable artistic paintings in the world.
- Mona Lisa has no eyebrows in Leonardo da Vinci's painting because during that time, a woman was considered more beautiful if she shaved her eyebrows.
- Picasso drew Le Picador, a picture of a man riding a horse for a bull fight when he was just 9 years old.
- Claude Monet invented the painting style called Impressionism.
- The Kiss by Gustav Klimt shows a couple sharing a passionate perfect kiss. They are surrounded by a gold blanket and ornaments. It is considered the third most popular painting.