Peyton Manning Facts
American professional football quarterback
- Peyton Williams Manning was born on March 24, 1976.
- He played for the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League for fourteen seasons from 1998 to 2011.
- He is the son of former NFL quarterback Archie Manning and the elder brother of current New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning.
- He played college football at the University of Tennessee, leading the Volunteers to the 1997 SEC Championship in his senior season.
- He was chosen by the Indianapolis Colts with the first overall pick in the 1998 NFL Draft.
- In 2009, he was named the best player in the NFL and Fox Sports along with Sports Illustrated named him the NFL player of the decade of the 2000s.
- In July 2011, Manning signed a five-year, $90 million contract extension with the Colts.
- In May 2011, he underwent neck surgery to alleviate neck pain and arm weakness he dealt with during the previous few seasons.
- Manning had never missed an NFL game in his career, but was forced to miss the entire 2011 season.
- He was released by the Colts on March 7, 2012.