Phoenix Suns Facts
Professional basketball team based in Phoenix, Arizona
- Phoenix Suns is a professional basketball team based in Phoenix, Arizona.
- They are members of the Pacific Division of the Western Conference in the National Basketball Association (NBA) and the only team in their division not to be based in California.
- Their home arena since 1992 has been the US Airways Center, which was formerly known as America West Arena, in downtown Phoenix. The Arena is often referred to as the "Purple Palace" due to its purple seats.
- Suns began play as an expansion team in 1968.
- The franchise owns the NBA's fourth-best all-time winning percentage, winning 56 percent of its games, as of the end of the 2010–2011 season.
- The Suns Gorilla is one of the more famous mascots in the NBA.
- For the first eleven seasons of their existence in the NBA, the Suns had no official mascot.
- In October 2008, the Phoenix Suns organization, along with partnered advertising agencies, were honored with 12 Emmy awards by the Rocky Mountain Southwest Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
- Mike D'Antoni resigned as coach on March 14, 2012, and assistant coach Mike Woodson filled his vacancy as the head coach.