Pope Benedict XVI Facts
265th Pope from 2005 to 2013
- Pope Benedict XVI is the 265th Pope from 2005 to 2013.
- He was born as Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger on 16 April 1927.
- He was elected on 19 April 2005 in a papal conclave, celebrated his Papal Inauguration Mass on 24 April 2005, and took possession of his cathedral, the Archbasilica of St. John Lateran, on 7 May 2005.
- He is a native of Bavaria and has citizenship of both Germany and Vatican.
- He announced his resignation as Pope on 11 February 2013 citing 'lack of strength of mind and body'.
- His resignation as Pope became effective on 28 February 2013.
- He is the first Pope to resign since Pope Gregory XII in 1415.
- He is the first to resign on his own initiative since Pope Celestine V in 1294.
- As Pope emeritus, he retains the style of His Holiness, and the title of Pope, and will continue to dress in the papal colour of white.
- He is expected to move into the newly renovated Mater Ecclesiae monastery for his retirement.
- He is ordained as a priest in 1951.
- He has a strong academic holld and served as a professor of theology at several German universities.
- He was appointed Archbishop of Munich and Freising and cardinal by Pope Paul VI in 1977.
- He is known to be deeply interested in classical music and is an accomplished pianist.