Central religious text of Islam
- Quran is considered the finest piece of literature in the Arabic language.
- It is composed of verses (Ayah) that make up 114 chapters (suras).
- Muslims believe the Quran is verbally revealed through angel Jibril (Gabriel) from God to Muhammad gradually over a period of approximately 23 years.
- After Muhammad's death the Quran was compiled into a single book by order of the first Caliph Abu Bakr and at the suggestion of his future successor Umar.
- The word 'quran' appears about 70 times in the Quran itself, assuming various meanings.
- It is only religious text in which God speaks in first person.
- It is the original ancient manuscript still remaining today.
- Only ancient religious text where the language of its revelation (Arabic), including the dialect, is still used today.