Ratan Tata Facts
Indian Businessman, Former Chairman of Tata Sons and Tata Group
- Ratan Tata was the chairman of Tata Sons and Tata Group.
- Ratan Naval Tata is his full name. He was born on 28 December 1937.
- He also served as the chairman of Tata Steel, Tata Motors, Tata Power, Tata Consultancy Services, Tata Tea, Tata Chemicals, The Indian Hotels Company, Tata Teleservices
- Ratan Tata was adopted by Naval Tata and Soonoo Commisariat who belong to Parsi community
- Ratan Tata is the great-grandson of Tata group founder Jamsedji Tata
- He did his schooling from Campion School, Mumbai and B.S in architecture with structural engineering in 1962 from Cornell University.
- He also has an Advanced Management Program from Harvard Business School in 1975.
- He is a member of the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity.
- He turned down a job offer with IBM in 1962 and returned to India on the advise of JRD.
- He initially worked on the shop floor at Tata Steel in Jamshedpur
- In August 2007, he is responsible for the Tata Group's to acquire British steel maker Corus.
- Ratan Tata's net worth is $970 million as of 2011
- Ratan Tata is set to retire in December 2012 and will be replaced by Cyrus Mistry.
- He is a single and never married.
- In 2009, Tata was knighted as a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (K.B.E.).